Friday, December 23, 2011

Empire State Building

After being born and raised and being a fourth generation New Yorker, I did something native New Yorkers "NEVER" do. I went to the top of the Empire State Building. Just like I thought "NO ONE" spoke English....not even the people who work there. I found out that My Parents, Grand Parents, nor Great Grandparents ever went to the top or even into the building either. "Native" New Yorkers are working class people who are always referred to as "Second" class citizens. Native New Yorkers are always made to feel that their only responsibility is to grow up, be a civil servant, and somehow serve the rich of N.Y.C. and even the "Tourists" like our Tourist Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Native New Yorkers are always made to feel unwelcome or even foolish by visiting our own landmarks like the Empire State building. Well no more for now on generations of my family will see it and know the history of this city "WE" built.

No comments:

Post a Comment