Euclid mom mourns son's death on YouTube video, asks for help paying for expenses
Miranda Dietrich mourns the loss of her son Prentice, who was fatally stabbed in June. (Adam Ferrise)
EUCLID, Ohio— A Euclid mother whose son was fatally stabbed in June over what police believe was a Facebook feud has herself taken to the Internet to ask for help paying for the headstone on his grave.
Miranda Dietrich admitted a sense of shame over her public plea on YouTube and YouCaring.com, an online fundraising website.
In addition to the trauma of losing her 18-year-old son, she was overwhelmed by the $20,000 bill she got from MetroHealth hospital, where her son died, the $1,700 for his funeral and the $1,200 for his headstone that she posted a video on YouTube to ask for help.
Dietrich said donations covered the cost of the funeral and is still waiting for enough to cover the headstone. Dietrich said all the money raised from the fundraising site is going towards covering the costs.
She said she applied for the Ohio Attorney General's crime victims compensation fund three weeks ago and her application is still pending. If she is approved, she could receive up to $2,000, Dietrich said.
"It's very hard to ask people for help that you don't know," she said. "It opens the door for people to criticize you and say 'well she just needs to get it together to be strong.' I'm a single mother and I can normally handle things. Right now, I don't have it in me and I don't have any money."
In the YouTube video, Dietrich
Miranda Dietrich admitted a sense of shame over her public plea on YouTube and YouCaring.com, an online fundraising website.
In addition to the trauma of losing her 18-year-old son, she was overwhelmed by the $20,000 bill she got from MetroHealth hospital, where her son died, the $1,700 for his funeral and the $1,200 for his headstone that she posted a video on YouTube to ask for help.
Dietrich said donations covered the cost of the funeral and is still waiting for enough to cover the headstone. Dietrich said all the money raised from the fundraising site is going towards covering the costs.
She said she applied for the Ohio Attorney General's crime victims compensation fund three weeks ago and her application is still pending. If she is approved, she could receive up to $2,000, Dietrich said.
"It's very hard to ask people for help that you don't know," she said. "It opens the door for people to criticize you and say 'well she just needs to get it together to be strong.' I'm a single mother and I can normally handle things. Right now, I don't have it in me and I don't have any money."
In the YouTube video, Dietrich
No comments:
Post a Comment